Breakfast: Still the Most Important Meal
With summer fast approaching, many people are trying to lose weight and rediscover their “swimsuit bodies.” This often includes a lot of diet and exercise, but the key to weight loss may be found in breakfast.
Many people skip breakfast and instead bring snacks to hold them over, or worse, they wait until lunch to consume their first food of the day. While this may seem like a good way to cut out calories, it’s actually damaging in the long run. Without breakfast, people can feel hungry more often and thus eat more food, and in particular, non-healthy, sweet-tasting food. By eating a well-balanced breakfast, you can feel full longer throughout the day and not eat as much.
Eating breakfast sounds simple, but what should you eat for the most effective results? Doctors, healthcare professionals, nutritionists and dietitians all recommend a wide range of possibilities so you can pick what works best for your schedule, your dietary needs and that fit your taste buds.
Some healthy breakfast ideas include:
- Hot oatmeal with berries and maple syrup
- Scrambled eggs, a couple slices of Canadian bacon and some fruit
- High fiber cereal with low-fat milk and a banana
- A variety of berries coupled with low-fat Greek yogurt with some almonds
- Smoothies consisting of low-fat Greek yogurt, sugar and berries
- Whole wheat bread or English muffins with peanut butter and apples along with milk or juice
- Burrito wraps with a dash of cheese, low-fat sour cream and salsa
- Cottage cheese paired with fruits, vegetables and nuts
All of these are great ways to create a more healthy diet and start your day off strong. Using these ideas as a base and tweaking them to your liking (without straying too far) will give you more protein, fiber, potassium, calcium and various vitamins. In addition, you will feel full longer and not have the urge to reach for those always tempting high-sugar and fatty snack foods.
So make sure to start your day with a bang and make breakfast a priority. After all, mom always said breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it certainly is.
You can also ensure a healthy foundation for your diet with a high potency multivitamin, like One-Per-Meal Lifeguard. One-Per-Meal LifeGuard™ is a multi-vitamin and mineral anti-oxidant supplement formulated for free radical protection and general nutrition needs. One-Per-Meal LifeGuard™ contains 25 essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that may show significant beneficial effects on your health.